Learning at Nungurner
Motto: Small School — Big Opportunities!
As a small school our students are provided with many opportunities to access a diverse range of learning experi- ences. Our small class sizes, individualised teaching and learning and caring school community provide your child with a great start to their life-long learning journey.
“All students will have the knowledge, skills and dispositions for life-long learning and will be equipped to thoughtfully navigate and shape the world around them.”
Our values are evident in everything we do at Nungurner; in the way we teach, the way students learn, in how everyone in our community treats each other and in our interactions with the wider world.
We have translated these values into phrases which are accessible to and easily understood and remembered by students.
- RESPECT: for ourselves, others and the environment
- PERSISTANCE: ‘Stick at it’
- RESPONSIBILITY: ‘Make good choices’
- COOPERATION: ‘Work Together’
We revisit our values regularly with students, exploring what they mean and the specific behaviours that students can use to make our values part of our everyday actions.
“You can teach students a lesson for a day; but if you can teach them to learn by creating curiosity they will continue the learning process as long as they live.” - C. Bedford
“I think, at a child's birth, if a mother could ask a fairy godmother to endow it with the most useful gift, that gift would be curiosity.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
At Nungurner Primary School we want our students to be powerful and effective learners. In addition to acquiring skills and knowledge we want them to develop a positive learning disposition. We scaffold our students to be responsible, curious and independent learners who are agents in their own learning.
Learning for students at Nungurner Primary School will be achieved through:
- Explicit teaching of knowledge and skills
- An Inquiry approach to learning
- Individualised learning - personalised student learning goals set collaboratively
- Respectful Relationships
- The development of a learning community where students can learn together
and from each other across all age / grade levels
- Learning tasks which are authentic and provide appropriate challenge
- Accurate, ongoing assessment of student’s learning with opportunities for
constructive feedback and reflection